Friday, February 13, 2015

MT. TIBIG 563 MASL



MT. TIBIG DAYHIKE
Lobo, Batangas
February 1, 2015 Sunday

"Perhaps we all need time to be free, time to be alone in nature, supported and encouraged to discover our own wild selves,
to reconnect with who we are and what we want from life."
-Jennifer Hanson

Jump-off point: Hulong Banalo, Lobo, Batangas

LLA: 13°40′30.9′′N 121°9′37.2′′ E, 563 MASL
Days required / Hours to summit: 1 day / 1.5-2.5 hours
Specs: Minor climb, Difficulty 2/9, Trail class 1-3
Features: Scenic views of Verde Island Passage and Southern Batangas
Photo (c) Ryan Junio
source: www.pinoymountaineer.com


ITINERARY: 

February 1, 2014

0200AM Meet up at SM North
0400AM Departure to Batangas
0600AM Arrival Lobo, Batangas. Register at police station.
0745AM Arrival at Hulong Banalo; secure guides; Register and prepare for the hike
0800AM Start trekking
1025AM Nipa Hut (Sitio Tibig)
1050AM Summit
1215PM Start descent
0125PM Back at Hulong Banalo
0200PM Sidetrip to Catada Beach Resort, Lobo Batangas
0210PM Late lunch and Swimming
0530PM Back to Batangas City, Dinner at AI GOTO KING
0615PM Departure at Batangas City

0800PM ETA Manila



Two weeks before my birthday I got invited by kuya Ryan to hike with his mountaineering group on the 25th of January (a day before my birthday) to San Jose Circuit, which combines three small mountains - Mt. Tangisan, Mt. Bungkol Baka, and Mt. Kawayan. It was my supposed first major climb together with the CORE group, it wasn't the first time kuya Ryan invited me to hike this Circuit, though. We planned on hiking it together with a friend of his, Ronnie, on December 2014, but I backed out last minute because I was too feverish and ill. This time it was deferred because kuya Ryan's leave was cancelled due to work matters and told me not to go by myself. I was upset since I was really looking forward to my first major and pre-birthday climb. Nonetheless, my frustration on our postponed day hike to San Jose Circuit was immediately pacified when I received a message from Kuya Ryan inviting me to a day hike on February 1, Sunday to Mt. Tibig in Lobo, Batangas. It was a very short notice since he messaged me the morning of January 30th but without thinking twice, I replied "Yes!" promptly.

The meet up was around 2AM at SM North. Kuya Ryan offered to meet me up at our former meeting place in Araneta but I knew it would be a hassle to him so I told him to meet me in SM North instead. We were the early birds when I got there, there was just him and kuya Arn-arn (a common friend of Kuya Ryan and Joriel-my former workmate) he told me it's his first time hiking and I felt relieved to have a newbie with us, I wasn't alone, I thought.
Our meet up point
After what seemed like ages of waiting for the 24 of us to complete, we were informed that a few backed out, hence leaving us with 19 participants. We took breakfast at Mcdonalds while waiting for the vans that were leased for the day to bring us to and from Batangas. We departed at around 4AM. Despite the loud rock and roll music played by the driver and his heedless driving. I immediately fell to sleep because I came all the way from work and have not rested.


At quarter past 5 we have already reached Lobo Town Proper thanks to the driving skills of our dearest drivers I had hit my head a million times, I thought I'll be going senile haha :D. Meanwhile, we proceeded to the Basketball court in front of Lobo Municipal Hall where we took a quick pee break and since we have arrived earlier than scheduled the tour guide, kuya Erwin is yet to arrive.





Registration
 We waited for another 30 minutes when he finally came in a bike and led the way to Lobo Police Station where we registered and had our pictures taken, we then headed to the jump off where kuya Erwin briefly orient us on what to expect, he also introduced two other guides to assist the group. We were divided into three groups, I joined the last group since kuya Ryan is the sweeper. Before we started the trek, Joriel (my former workmate) led us to a prayer and introduced each one of us to the group, having found out that there were four among us who were first timers, kuya Erwin strategically divided them so that each one of the guide would have a newbie to monitor. I was with Kuya Ryan, Arn arn, and Sonny. 

We started the trek at exactly 8AM. I was feeling all jumpy and ecstatic, the fact that it was my first time travelling with a mountaineering group and that the mountain gave me the feeling of real trekking compared to my very first hike, I can't hide the smile on my face the whole time. There goes one thing off my bucket list. At the beginning of the trek I was anticipating a river crossing, I had not realized that the boulders we've been trudging on was the river bed on a majestic weather. Since we came with Mr. Sunshine today the river bed is totally withered which I think is an advantage to us because crossing the river with this boulders would've really been a challenge. Nearly after 5 minutes we were at the foot of Mt. Tibig, from here the trail to the mountain was particularly steep, glad that I have a habit of checking  blogs before an upcoming trek so I know what to expect, as the saying goes "It's better to look ahead and prepare than to look back and regret"



Group Shot before the trek



River bed on a dry weather

Flower along the trail
That cardiac assault


The initial assault trail was steeper and longer than most blogs described, I thought it was endless and 3/4 of the trail on the way up was cardiac assault. But that did not tire me, the fact that I trained for swimming and other water sports boosted my endurance and perhaps also because I go to the gym 4 times a week doing cardio. Kuya Ryan was surprised that he did not see me getting whipped on the trail. Unfortunately not everyone has the same endurance like I do, kuya Arn-arn for one, struggled onset the trail, I know because he was right in front of me when we were ascending and I was waiting for him every time, he pauses every after 3 or 4 steps? No exaggeration to that. I can see him struggling already 2 minutes on the trail. He was panting, sweating heavily and dog-tired. I knew he's in for a long hike. I tried keeping up with his pace but knew that if I kept it any longer I would get tired too. So everyone behind us, Deth, Rosenie etc had to advance because we were lagging behind the two groups by a great distance; At this pace I knew we wouldn't be able to catch up with the first two groups. I was very reluctant to advance because kuya Ryan brought kuya Arn-rn with him hence, he felt obliged to stay with him through the trail so I ought to stay with kuya Ryan too. Eventually, I came to a point where I'm feeling a little impatient, I told kuya Ryan I will be advancing and catching up with the former groups, kuya Sonny came along, he and I hiked briskly and later on we were able to catch up with the two former group who at that moment we're at rest. I see everyone slowly getting zonked, so a picture taking is a-must at this moment. We continued the unfathomable ascend.



our first stop
Finally the nipa hut

Group Shot at the nipa hut

The big tree by the nipa hut

Much to our delight by 10:25 AM we've reached the renowned nipa hut. At this point, we've covered 3/4 of the trail where you can spot the summit of Mt. Tibig, we had brief stop and took the time to take pictures (loads of them) eat our trail foods and enjoy the beautiful scenery. We agreed to wait for kuya Ryan and Arn arn from here until surprisingly kuya Ryan caught up, he said that he had to leave kuya Arn arn with our tour guide, kuya Erwin, because they were lagging too far behind, thus it wasn't a good idea to wait for them. I'm really glad that kuya Ryan caught up because he is sporting his new GOPRO HERO 4 and I would love to take pictures with it LOL. Nah, truth is I was feeling really guilty to have left him behind when he was the one who tagged me along. 

After nearly 20 minutes we resumed trekking. Coming from a rest and finally with a painless trail, our pacing hastened twice the average, we approached the summit through the grassy slopes and from this vantage point you can perceive the hind part of Mt. Banoi due to it's distinct green forest. Upon reaching summit, the 360 degree panoramic sight was astounding. I was in awe with the beauty of this mountain, the Lobo Mountain Range was evident from atop the mountain.One of the tour guides approached me and favored to have our picture taken. I took the opportunity to ask him what where the mountains in the vicinity. From north lies the Verde Island, and behind it stands majestic Mt. Halcon, covered with sea of clouds, and to its west the other mountains of Mindoro.



Mandatory group shot at the summit :)
Nearly after 30 minutes, a few decided to go to the cliff to take selfies and groupfies. The view was breath-taking. I had my share of groupfie because the wind was too strong. I was hella scared to go alone. It only took me 30 second to realize I wasn't my self and decided to go down and take picture from a far. HAHA. An hour later, kuya Arn arn was finally in view. He conquered the mountain and I salute him for his perseverance. I thought he already descent halfway, but boy this man was determined. We let him rest then after some time, we all decided to descend. 

At the beginning of the descent I was all happy and was even humming the tune of Mockingjay's "Hanging Tree" and then somewhat mid-way I struggled with the steep trail. I never thought I'd have a hard time going down. So I was fist clenched with kuya Ryan the whole time. I struggled a lot to the point that we we're lagging behind. I had so many bruises all over my arms and legs. I was pissed big time, but I couldn't let it show because there were too many of them behind me. Instead, I made funny jokes each time I stumble or fall. Nobody would've guessed that my feet were callous and bleeding inside my rubber shoes. A little over three-quarters on the foot of the mountain everyone else were struggling, we we're covered with dust all over our bodies, then we walked past the first group who descended when just reached the summit. Imagine how long they've been descending by this hour. I figured it wasn't an easy trail after all. And then the inevitable happened - it started raining. So we hurried going down because the steep trail could be thrice harder when it's all muddy and slippery. Upon reaching the foot of the mountain I breathed the longest sigh of my life, a breathe of relief from the pain of my muscles and bleeding feet. I thank God for letting me through. It was still an achievement for me. Finally conquered my second mountain :)


When we got back to where the vans were parked it was already raining heavily. So instead of eating lunch there, because there we're no shades, we decided to hide in the vans and wait until Kuya Arn Arn is back. While waiting, my feet was all sored and aching so I decided to change clothes right there. Kuya Joriel bought some fish crackers and sodas, we then shared it until kuya Arn Arn was finally back. Our tour guide was kind enough to offer to deliver us to one of the resorts nearby so we can take our lunch there and wash up before going home.


We arrived at the resort a little past 2PM. Some of us swam in the beach whilst others like me chose to lie on the sand and rest for a while. 

Others took their lunch and washed up. I felt very uncomfortable with the washroom because there we're no lights from the inside and the water from the pale was freezing cold. I changed clothes immediately and decided to rest inside the van instead. I woke up to a rolling van almost at Batangas City. We stopped to a couple of restaurants and then dine for the early dinner. We feast on BULALO and the famous "LOMI ng BATANGAS". And that was a wrap for this day hike. Overall, it was truly a day to remember. I will definitely hand with this gang again in the future. I'm very much looking forward to it. Till next time CORE :)


















No comments:

Post a Comment

GO PRO HERO 4 Silver UNBOXING